Contributory Aged Parent (864)


The Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864) lets older parents live permanently in Australia if their child is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

Most applicants need to be sponsored by their child. Your sponsor needs to have lived lawfully in Australia for the two years before the application is lodged.

You must be in Australia when you apply and when the visa is decided.


You might be able to get a Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864) if you either:

  • hold a temporary Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884)
  • have a child who is:
    • an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or anĀ eligible New Zealand citizen
    • lawfully resident in Australia for at least two years (a shorter period can be considered for Australian citizens if there are compelling and compassionate circumstances)
  • meet the balance-of-family test
  • meet health and character requirements
  • have a sponsor

[Source: DIPB]

It may be possible for you to qualify under different categories that you may not be aware of.

Once you click the button below, you will be able to provide us information to help you qualify or offer you more options, more accurately.