Contributory Aged Parent (884)


This visa lets older parents live in Australia for up to two years if they are the parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

This visa is temporary and cannot be extended or renewed.​ After the visa is approved, you have two years to apply for a Permanent Contributory Aged Parent visa (864). In this way, you can spread the costs of the Contributory Aged Parent migration over a number of years.

Most applicants must be sponsored by their child. Your sponsor needs to have lived lawfully in Australia for the two years before the application is lodged.


You can apply for a Contributory Aged Parent (884) if you:

  • have a child who is:
    • an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
    • lawfully resident in Australia for at least two years (a shorter period can be considered for Australian citizens if there are compelling and compassionate circumstances).
  • meet the age requirements
  • have a sponsor
  • meet the balance-of-family test
  • meet health and character requirements

[Source: DIPB]

Take a 30 Second simple assessment to know if you qualify.