Dependent Child (445)


A Dependent Child visa (445) is a temporary visa for the child of a parent who holds a temporary Partner visa that does not already include the child.

If this visa is granted, the child also needs to make a permanent Partner visa application before the parent's permanent Partner visa is decided.

The child can be in or outside Australia when they apply for this visa.

If the child's siblings are also applying for this visa, they must lodge separate applications.


A child applying for this visa must be the dependent child of a parent who holds a temporary Partner visa or a Dependent Child visa. A parent usually lodges the application on behalf of the child.

The child must be:

  • a biological child, stepchild or adopted child of the parent
  • sponsored by the same person sponsoring their parent with limited exceptions
  • able to meet health and character requirements
  • single (the child cannot be married, engaged to be married, or in a de facto relationship)
  • younger than 18, or else be one of the following:
    • financially dependent on the parent holding the temporary Partner visa
    • incapacitated for work due to the total or partial loss of bodily or mental functions

[Source: DIPB]

Take a 30 Second simple assessment to know if you qualify.