Training and Research Visa

The Training and Research visa (subclass 402) is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training, observe or participate in research as a visiting academic, or participate in a professional development program.

This is not a work visa.

This visa has three streams:

  • Occupational Trainee stream: for people who need structured workplace-based training to enhance their skills in their current occupation, area of tertiary study, or field of expertise
  • Professional Development stream: for professionals, managers or government officials invited to participate in a professional development training program in Australia. The program must have been arranged by an employer outside Australia and usually lasts up to 18 months
  • Research stream: for professional academics invited to visit Australia to observe or participate in an Australian research project at an Australian tertiary or research institution


You might be able to get this visa if you:

  • are sponsored by one of the following:
    • a training and research sponsor who has lodged their sponsorship application or had it approved
    • an approved professional development sponsor
    • an approved visiting academic sponsor or occupational trainee sponsor (for sponsorship applications lodged before 24 November 2012)
  • meet the requirements of the visa for the stream in which you are applying
  • have a genuine intention to stay temporarily in Australia
  • have adequate financial support for yourself and accompanying family members while in Australia
  • have adequate arrangements for health insurance while in Australia
  • meet health and character requirements
  • are at least 18 years of age (except in limited circumstances)

You must meet the requirements of the stream in which you apply

[Source: DIPB]

Take a 30 Second simple assessment to know if you qualify.


Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.