Migrate Group


If your sponsor is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you can be sponsored as:

  • spouse,
  • common-law or conjugal partner, or
  • dependent children

Your sponsor must provide proof that they can:

  • meet basic needs—such as food, clothing and shelter—for your family and themselves,
  • support you financially and
  • make sure that the sponsor or relative does not need to ask for financial help from the government


To be a sponsor one must:

  • agree in writing to give financial support to their relative, if they need it
  • for a spouse or partner, this lasts for three years from the date they become a permanent resident, and
  • for a dependent child, this lasts for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.


Parents and Grandparents may be eligible to immigrate to Canada as permanent residents.

There must be a sponsor for any relative immigrating to Canada within the Family Class. Both, the person sponsoring a relative and the person wishing to immigrate to Canada must meet certain requirements.


To be a sponsor:

  • You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative if necessary.
  • You must promise to provide financial support for the relative and any other eligible relatives accompanying them


Some relatives may be eligible to immigrate to Canada as permanent residents.


Depending on your circumstances, there are two options for who can be sponsored.

1.You can sponsor the following close relatives only if they are orphaned, under 18, and do not have a spouse or common law partner:

  • brothers or sisters,
  • nephews or nieces, or
  • grandchildren.
  1. You can sponsor one relative of any age if:

you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or one of the following living relatives you could sponsor instead:

  • son or daughter,
  • parent,
  • grandparent,
  • rother or sister, or
  • uncle, aunt, nephew or niece.


you do not have a spouse, common law partner, conjugal partner, or any of the above-named relatives who is a:

  • Canadian citizen,
  • permanent resident, or
  • registered Indian under the Indian Act.
Scroll to Top